Open Forum

Expand all | Collapse all

International/Outreach-type position for lab professionals?

  • 1.  International/Outreach-type position for lab professionals?

    Posted 11-06-2018 08:38
    Good morning,

    I have a student inquiring about international lab positions or outreach-type work after graduation. Do you have suggestions as to where she would begin her search?


    Brandy Greenhill, DrPH, MLS(ASCP)
    Associate Professor/Program Director
    Clinical Laboratory Science Program
    1515 Holcombe Blvd. Unit 002
    Houston, TX 77030
    Fax: 713-792-0800
    2019 JAM

  • 2.  RE: International/Outreach-type position for lab professionals?

    Posted 11-07-2018 07:28
      |   view attached
    ​The latest edition of our state newsletter (attached)  from Michigan had this info:

    The U.S. Department of State offers a dynamic career as a Foreign Service Regional Medical Laboratory Scientist (RMLS), living and working overseas. An RMLS provides invaluable support to medical units (similar to a small clinic) in U.S. Embassies and  Consulates worldwide, by providing services in their overseas assigned post and when traveling to several dozen regional posts.

    Services include managing the medical unit laboratory, visiting local laboratories and blood banks, training colleagues on testing techniques and quality control, and addressing food and water safety issues.

             And click on Keep Me Informed to get a notification when the next RMLS vacancy announcement is open and accepting applications.

    Paul Guthrie



    2019 JAM

  • 3.  RE: International/Outreach-type position for lab professionals?

    Posted 11-07-2018 09:25

    Have you checked into positions with US Foreign Service?  Attached info below from James Adams who has attended ASCLS meetings and has worked in such positions and can share more information about these positions.

    Regional Medical Laboratory Scientist
    Careers remove preview
    Regional Medical Laboratory Scientist
    Regional Medical Laboratory Scientists provide invaluable support to medical units for U.S. government medical specialists, employees, and eligible family members. Responsibilities include managing laboratories at assigned posts in a given region, providing technical consulting and performing competency assessments, evaluating quality assurance, and implementing health/safety programs for laboratories and post populations.
    View this on Careers >

    Andrea Pitkus, PhD, MLS(ASCP)CM

    Andrea Pitkus
    Buffalo Grove IL

    2019 JAM

  • 4.  RE: International/Outreach-type position for lab professionals?

    Posted 11-15-2018 07:41
    ​Hi Brandy,
    We (U.S. Dept. of State) do have opportunities for medical laboratory scientists who are willing to work and live overseas. The link provided by Paul from will have a lot of information about our Regional Medical Laboratory Scientist position. However this would be a medium or long term goal for students. The position does require at least 5 years experience as a generalist so a new graduate would not be eligible.

    More info can be found here as well:

    James Adams
    Regional Medical Laboratory Scientist
    U.S. Dept. of State
    Washington DC

    2019 JAM